Lyonnaise Style Salad
This Lyonnaise style salad is a great combination of flavors, the creaminess of the yolk balances perfectly with the crisp asparagus and bacon.
- If using bacon, cut strips into 2 x 1/2-inch pieces. Cook in a sauté pan until golden brown and crisp. Drain well, reserve.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until crisp-tender. Shock in ice water. Drain and reserve.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together garlic, red wine vinegar, oil, mustard, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Half fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and add white vinegar or lemon juice. Crack eggs individually into small custard cups and carefully ease eggs into water, one at a time, holding cup as low as possible so the yolk doesn't break. Use a spoon to gather whites around the yolks of each egg and continue to simmer for 3 minutes.
- To assemble salad, mound 1 1/3 cups of greens in the center of each plate. Arrange 3 asparagus over the greens and sprinkle with bacon, if using. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Carefully place poached egg on top of each salad. Serve immediately.