Key Lime Pie
A refreshing, classic key lime pie made with fresh key lime juice and egg whites on a graham cracker crust.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare graham cracker crust: Mix together cracker crumbs, granulated sugar and butter.
- Divide crumbs in half. Line two 9" pie plates with cracker crumb mix, pressing firmly to line bottom and sides. Bake at 350º F for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: Whisk condensed milk with lime juice and egg yolks in stainless steel bowl.
- Pour half of filling into each of the pre-baked graham cracker shells. Bake pies, at 350º F for 20 minutes.
- Prepare meringue. Use very clean bowl and whisk to beat egg whites; otherwise, egg whites will not form stiff peak. Beat egg whites to stiff peak. Continue whipping and add confectioner’s sugar, whipping until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Divide meringue in half. Decoratively add meringue to top of custard. Bake at 350º F for 15-30 minutes, or until meringue has good color. Check with wooden skewer or cake tester to be sure custard is done.
- Garnish with slice of lime
- Daypart suggestion: dessert