Spiced Sweet Potato Carrot Cake
Great for autumn, this twist on a traditional carrot cake is made with sweet potatoes with a mix of spices and topped with brown sugar icing.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
- In separate medium bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes and carrot purée.
- Add sugar and oil to sweet potato mixture. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add liquid eggs and vanilla to sweet potato mixture. Beat to combine.
- Add flour mixture into sweet potato mixture. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Spray two 9" round cake pans with cooking spray. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Place pans in oven. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until tester inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven. Cool in cake pans on rack 15 minutes. Cut around sides of pans and turn cakes onto rack. Cool completely.
- Spoon icing over cakes, using spatula to spread evenly. Allow icing to drip down sides. Let cakes stand until icing is firm, before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream or cinnamon ice cream
- Daypart suggestion: dessert or snack